3 GREAT WAYS TO RECYCLE YOUR FLOWERS
Receiving a bouquet of flowers is a great feeling; knowing someone has gone out of their way to think about you is enough to brighten your day. However, wouldn’t it be great if that feeling could last a little bit longer?
Here at Zing we’ve thought of the best ways you can recycle your bouquets to make that memory last.
Potpourri is used for a way to offer a fresh scent to an area using dried, fragrant plants. Dried flowers and other scented material are mixed in a clear bowl or tied in small, fabric sachets. Depending on the material used, these bowls of heaven can last from two months to 20 years.1. The first step is to remove the buds and petals from the stem and dry them out in a warm area.
WATER BASED PERFUME
Being able to make a scented perfume without any chemicals or oils is really great. But an added bonus is recycling your bouquet and using its scent to create a scented, water-based spray that can leave you smelling fresh and luscious.1. Remove the petals and wash them gently of dirt and sediment.
2. Then line a bowl with a linen cloth and place the flowers in it, pouring water over them until the flowers are completely submerged.
3. Place a lid on the bowl and leave the flowers to soak overnight.
4. The next day, remove the linen cloth from the bowl using the four corners until you have a pouch of flowers. Squeezing the pouch over a saucepan will extract the flower-scented water and simmering it until there is about a teaspoon of liquid left will allow you to finish your floral concoction.
5. Wait until the liquid is cooled and bottle it into an old vanilla extract spray bottle. (And why not decorate the bottle, label your masterpiece! 😀).
Flowers are stereotypically known to be a spring and summer thing but why would you want to give up that joy in the cooler months? Drying out your flowers and creating a wreath that will last all year round is the ultimate way to get full use out of your bouquet.1. Dry out your flowers in a warm area either by placing them in a cupboard or hanging them up on a line.
2. You will need to purchase a vine ring from your local crafts store and begin placing your flowers in the special way you want them.
3. Using a hot glue gun, stick down your flowers and even add some additional pieces such as spices, dried foliage or even fruit to theme and decorate your wreath.